We hope that you are all well. We are sorry that we are unable to meet and we have thought about zoom meetings. However, we feel there are already many organisations doing this. Certainly, U3A includes some history presentations too: Robin Lee has done Tretchikoff in Hermanus, and there have been two presentations on Jan Smuts. ( Kobus du Pisani and Robin Lee)
- Taking advantage of the time available during the lockdown, Robin has published 14 articles in The Village News since March. Each piece will make a chapter in the new history he is writing about our town. He opes to publish these, plus six more, in the first chronological history o Hermanus and the Overstrand.
- Angela has checked all our historical plaques, Hoy’s graves and the two history boards are in good condition. However, she anticipates that the board at Die Gang will need renewing in about one year.
- Angela has begun work with Caroline Gabb to do an update of the history of Onrus to include the writers and artists who have lived there. The account will include the late Elsa Joubert, who was one of the well-known Sestigers Afrikaans-language writers. She rose to prominence with her novel Die Swerfjare van Poppie Nongena. She had a holiday home in Onrus. Caroline and Angela did a walking tour this week and passed the original hotel’s tea garden and St Lukes Greek Orthodox church
- All the articles written by members of the Society, plus other documents are posted on our website. Please check them out at: www.hermaus-history-society.co.za
- Please remember that the History Society has an excellent library- email or telephone Angela and she can leave the book/s at SANTA, for you pick up at your convenience.